Later we will tell each one of the nominations; however first we will make a summary about the gala this year, to be held on November 16 at the Skirball Cultural Center.
The films that received double nomination this year:
- Beauty and the Beast.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
- Ghost in the Shell.
- Hidden Figures.
- Doctor Strange.
While, on the other hand, Game of Thrones has taken 5 nominations.
Oscar Nominees Will Also Meet at HPA Awards
Several Oscar-nominated films this year have also been nominated for the HPA Awards:
- War for the Planet of the Apes.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Do Not Tell Stories.
- Fate of the Furious and John Wick: Chapter 2.
What are HPA Awards?
For those who do not know; the HPA Awards are the awards given by the Hollywood Post Alliance to promote creativity and technique in the post-production sector.
The HPA is a brand association (AVID, Company 3, Deluxe, Dolby, EFilm) that provides creative and technical expertise, support, tools and infrastructure for professional content creation, distribution and cataloging within the post-production industry. One thing to keep in mind is that the HPA is a partner of the world-renowned SMPTE®, or what is the same, the Association of Film and Television Engineers. The SMPTE is made up of more than 7,000 members, including executives, creative engineers, researchers and students of audiovisual image who are freed of their time and experience in initiatives of development of standards and education within our sector.
With its awards, the HPA seeks to recognize talent, innovation and technology in the post-production sector. The contest sections range from sound, visual effects, editing and color correction. As far as lovers of color correction and color grading are concerned, the best colorists of the moment in the largest film industry in the world, Hollywood, are also known. So if you are passionate about this world these prizes cannot be missed in your agenda.
Here is the list of each one of the nominations.
Outstanding Color Grading – Commercial
- Land O’ Lakes – “The Farmer” — Billy Gabor // Company 3
- Pennzoil – “JOYRIDE Tundra” — Dave Hussey // Company 3
- José Cuervo – “Last Days” — Tom Poole // Company 3
- Nedbank – “The Tale of a Note” — Sofie Borup // Company 3
- Squarespace – “John’s Journey” — Tom Poole // Company 3
Outstanding Color Grading – Television
- The Last Tycoon – “Burying the Boy Genius” — Timothy Vincent // Technicolor – Hollywood
- Game of Thrones – “Dragonstone” — Joe Finley // Chainsaw
- Genius – “Einstein: Chapter 1” — Pankaj Bajpai // Encore
- Hollywood – “The Crown – Smoke and Mirrors” — Asa Shoul // Molinare
- The Man in the High Castle – “Detonation” — Roy Vasich // Technicolor
Outstanding Color Grading – Feature Film
- The Birth of a Nation — Steven J. Scott // Technicolor – Hollywood
- Ghost in the Shell — Michael Hatzer // Technicolor – Hollywood
- Hidden Figures — Natasha Leonnet // EFILM
- Doctor Strange — Steven J. Scott // Technicolor – Hollywood
- Beauty and the Beast — Stefan Sonnenfeld // Company 3
- Fences — Michael Hatzer // Technicolor – Hollywood
Outstanding Editing – Commercial
- Nespresso – “Comin’ Home” –Chris Franklin // Big Sky Edit
- Bonafont – “Choices” –Doobie White // Therapy Studios
- Optum – “Heroes” –Chris Franklin // Big Sky Edit
- SEAT – “Moments” –Doobie White // Therapy Studios
Outstanding Editing – Television
- Game of Thrones – “Stormborn” –Tim Porter, ACE
- Stranger Things – “Chapter 1: The Vanishing of Will Byers” –Dean Zimmerman
- Game of Thrones – “The Queen’s Justice” –Jesse Parker
- Narcos – “Al Fin Cayó!” –Matthew V. Colonna, Trevor Baker
- Westworld – “The Original” –Stephen Semel, ACE, Marc Jozefowicz
- Game of Thrones – “Dragonstone” –Crispin Green
Outstanding Editing – Feature Film
- Hidden Figures –Peter Teschner
- Dunkirk –Lee Smith, ACE
- The Ivory Game –Verena Schönauer
- Get Out –Gregory Plotkin
- Lion –Alexandre de Franceschi
Outstanding Sound – Feature Film
- Fate of the Furious — Peter Brown, Mark Stoeckinger, Paul Aulicino, Steve Robinson, Bobbi Banks // Formosa Group
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 –Addison Teague, Dave Acord, Chris Boyes, Lora Hirschberg // Skywalker Sound
- Sully –Alan Murray, Bub Asman, John Reitz, Tom Ozanich // Warner Bros. Post Production Creative Services
- John Wick: Chapter 2 –Mark Stoeckinger, Alan Rankin, Andy Koyama, Martyn Zub, Gabe Serano // Formosa Group
- Doctor Strange –Shannon Mills, Tom Johnson, Juan Peralta, Dan Lauris // Skywalker Sound
Outstanding Sound – Television
- Underground – “Soldier” –Larry Goeb, Mark Linden, Tara Paul // Sony Pictures Post
- Stranger Things – “Chapter 8: The Upside Down” –Craig Henigham // FOX Joe Barnett, Adam Jenkins, Jordan Wilby, Tiffany Griffith // Technicolor – Hollywood
- Game of Thrones – “The Spoils of War” –Tim Kimmel, MPSE, Paula Fairfield, Mathew Waters, CAS, Onnalee Blank, CAS, Bradley C. Katona, Paul Bercovitch // Formosa Group
- The Music of Strangers: Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble –Pete Horner // Skywalker Sound / Dimitri Tisseyre // Envelope Music + Sound / Dennis Hamlin // Hamlin Sound
- American Gods – “The Bone Orchard” –Bradley North, Joseph DeAngelis, Kenneth Kobett, David Werntz, Tiffany S. Griffith // Technicolor
Outstanding Sound – Commercial
- Honda – “Up” — Anthony Moore, Neil Johnson, Jack Hallett // Factory / Sian Rogers // SIREN
- Virgin Media – “This Is Fibre” –Anthony Moore // Factory
- Kia – “Hero’s Journey” –Nathan Dubin // Margarita Mix Santa Monica
- SEAT – “Moments” –Doobie White // Therapy Studios
- Rio 2016 Paralympic Games – “We’re the Superhumans” –Anthony Moore // Factory
Outstanding Visual Effects – Television
- Black Sails – “XXIX” –Erik Henry / Yafei Wu, Nicklas Andersson, David Wahlberg // Important Looking Pirates / Martin Lippman // Rodeo
- The Crown – “Windsor” –Ben Turner, Tom Debenham, Oliver Cubbage, Lionel Heath, Charlie Bennett // One of Us
- Taboo – “Episode One” –Henry Badgett, Nic Birmingham, Simon Rowe, Alexander Kirichenko, Finlay Duncan // BlueBolt VFX
- Ripper Street – “Occurrence Reports” –Ed Bruce, Nicholas Murphy, Denny Cahill, Piotr Swigut, Mark Pinheiro // Screen Scene
- Westworld – “The Bicameral Mind” –Jay Worth // Deep Water FX / Bobo Skipper, Gustav Ahren, Jens Tenland // Important Looking Pirates / Paul Ghezzo // COSA VFX
Outstanding Visual Effects – Feature Film
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales –Gary Brozenich, Sheldon Stopsack, Patrick Ledda, Richard Clegg, Richard Little // MPC
- War for the Planet of the Apes –Dan Lemmon, Anders Langlands, Luke Millar, Erik Winquist, Daniel Barrett // Weta Digital
- Beauty and the Beast –Kyle McCulloch, Glen Pratt, Richard Hoover, Dale Newton, Neil Weatherley // Framestore
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 –Guy Williams, Kevin Andrew Smith, Charles Tait, Daniel Macarin, David Clayton // Weta Digital
- Ghost in the Shell — Guillaume Rocheron, Axel Bonami, Arundi Asregadoo, Pier Lefebvre, Ruslan Borysov // MPC
Outstanding Visual Effects – Commercial
- Walmart – “Lost & Found” –Morgan MacCuish, Michael Ralla, Aron Hjartarson, Todd Herman // Framestore
- Honda – “Keep the Peace” –Laurent Ledru, Georgia Tribuiani, Justin Booth-Clibborn, Ellen Turner // Psyop
- Nespresso – “Comin’ Home” –Martin Lazaro, Murray Butler, Nick Fraser, Callum McKevney // Framestore
- Kia – “Hero’s Journey” –Robert Sethi, Chris Knight, Tom Graham, Jason Bergman // The Mill
- Walmart – “The Gift” –Mike Warner, Kurt Lawson, Charles Trippe, Robby Geis // ZERO VFX
What is your favorite? How many prizes do you think GoT will take this year? As you answer these questions, please wait with us for the HPA awards gala to be held on November 16th.